Saturday, January 10, 2009

HK & Macau Day X - Kick start 2009 at Golden Bauhinia Square

We arrived at our Hostel at 1am after the countdown in Disneyland. Got an late supper at 7-eleven...yummy! Slept at close to 3am after a hot shower and packing up our luggage.

I woke up at about 6am. Refreshed up and left for Wan Chai. As according to the weather forecast, it was extremely cold today. The forecast said that it would be average of 12C for the day but might be 8~9 in the morning. So the forecast was absolutely correct. Even with the jacket, I felt so cold.
Wan Chai Station
Street of HK can be very different within minutes of walk
Wan Chai...this sky rises is just back to back to the rows in the photo before and after
another street of Wan Chai

I took the MTR on the Tsuen Wan line and have an interchange at Admiralty. I arrived at the Wan Chai station at about 7.15am but the Golden Bauhinia Square was a little distance away. However it was very convenient to walk to the square. There were proper pedestrian connecting buildings making it hassle free to move about...no problem with the sun and rain.Golden Bauhinia Square
another perspective of Golden Bauhinia
Tsim Sha Tsui from Golden Bauhinia Square

It was still very early when I arrived at the square but it was already crowded. Many enthusiast photographers were waiting long with their gadgets. Got some great shots of me with the golden bauhinia on the background. Quickly reserved a corner and mark my territory...quite a good spot to capture the whole Enhanced Flag Raising Ceremony. This enhanced ceremony only took place on the 1st of every month. So even I was tired, I didn't want to miss this.
at the Golden Bauhinia Square at 7 in the morning...吃西北風...冷非常冷

The ceremony started exactly at 7.45am. It started with the flag-raising party of 15 Hong Kong police officers accompanied by a 10-man rifle unit all in ceremonial dress marched out. Following next was the playing of the national anthem by the Police Band together with the national flag and the flag of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) hoisting. The ceremony continued with a 10-minute musical performance by the Police Pipe Band.
Police Band of Hong Kong
playing National Anthem
flag raising party
Flag of China and Hong Kong




After the ceremony, I took the MTR to Central. I wanted to see the city under the broad daylight...especially the Legislative Council. On my way there, I got a quick instant breakfast. This time it was a macaroni soup with sausage and egg at the famous Maxim's Express with a smooth hot milk tea...a complete breakfast to kick start the day.
Central MTR station
Legislative Council

After the visit around the area, I went back to the hostel for a hot shower and left for the airport.
And at the airport, I could not resist but to have another serving of 許流山...yummy yummy yummy...finally manage to get the signature dish...
my last 許流山 serving...mango and pomelo...best combination...excellent dessert

Rushed to get the Yuen Long Lou Po Pheng and board the flight back to KLIA on MH73...another drink onboard to celebrate the end of my trip and for a good nap...transited at KLIA and managed to arrive in Penang at 11pm.

As a whole this was a pretty good trip...lots of walking and lots to see and eat in HK...I love the food, the culture, the pace but less the people.

No comments: