Friday, October 21, 2016

6 months check point

I was scanning over my past posts and decided I need to write this one like how I did in my past positions.

So I just past my 6 months probation in 'M2'. Even before the review session, I knew clearly that I would get over it without any problem looking at my involvement and deliverable so far.

As expected, nothing shocking from my manager. However I was shocked over my own honest remarks during the review session which includes a good mix of good and bad remarks like

  • Yes! Learning curve is steep. 
  • Very different from my previous positions.
  • I like the challenges.
  • Still a lot for me to learn.
  • No! I don't see career here.
  • It's a present job.
  • No one I can look up to.
  • Lacked of accessible mentors, seniors and architects within the organization.

My manager could only suggest that I get in touch with those in HQ but I personally doubt it is possible to get a mentor when there is no personal touch. These folks that he was referring to are TEN THOUSANDS km away from me. We have not met in person nor have any casual conversation before. I am also aware that as I grow in my career, this tends to get harder to achieve.

I can only hope that as time past, I will get to know them better and build the rapport and trust like I have with my past seniors and mentors.

Let me be the 'Innovators you can count on'!


No comments: