Thursday, July 15, 2010

True Meaning of Exchange Program

I was in Korea for Korea Malaysia Youth Exchange Program which was jointly organized by Ministry of Youth and Sports Malaysia and Ministry of Gender Equality and Family Korea. This was my 2nd exchange program abroad. My first was a 2 and half months in India under AIESEC, :-) another cool NGO run by youth and especially for youth development.

As I was not given any prior hiccups on the program itinerary in South Korea and with my tight and tiring schedule at work, I didn't have much time left to do any reading on South Korea culture. I went to South Korea with an open mind and without any expectation.

With this mindset and perhaps with my past experience being in exchange program as well as running the program itself, I could cope with the cultural difference very well. Through my experience, I found many have the wrong perception of cultural exchange program. In my opinion, cultural exchange program was not just a program where people go abroad and shout out loud about their country or parade with their flags.

For the visiting delegates, I personally felt that it was time where we learn by interacting and listening to people. Of course there were times when we should promote our culture to the hosting country but that didn't mean that all our conversations only revolved around my homeland. We didn't need to call for intensive Malay language class. In my case, I did talk a lot about non Malaysia related issues. This didn't mean that I don't love my country; instead it reflected the maturity level and intelligence of general Malaysians.

Secondly I found it very annoying when people were not sincere and honest in their speech and gesture. We all respect each other individually. The best way to make friends is to be honest to each other. There was no need to say you love the food or pretended that you enjoy the food when you didn't even eat them due to religious believe. I would prefer my guest telling me that they couldn't eat them and would prefer an instant noodle instead.

In an exchange program, host country plays an important role as well. It is really a difficult role to play especially dealing with a big group. On one hand, he needs to promote his culture to his guests and on the other hand, he needs to respect their needs and preferences. So it is best for the host to always communicate with his guests to know their cultural acceptance limit as well as their preferences.

As a whole, the Koreans have done a great job in sharing their culture with us while we fellow Malaysians have a lot to brush up on our hospitality way and we seriously need to raise our cultural acceptance level...maybe CCAP program Korea can be adapted here ;-)

Lastly I would like to thank my host especially Kim, Bryanna, Ms Yu and Park for being such a lovely and accommodating host. Not to forget my new found friends, the group of energetic youth delegates from Korea. I enjoyed my stay there very much thanks to you all!

To all my fellow countrymen heading abroad and to all our exchange program hosts to be, please prove to the world that Malaysians no longer live in our own caves. We are part of the global citizens.

7 comments:

krystle said...

Hey, my name is Krystle. I randomly saw your blog on google. I am interested in the Korean exhange program too. Can I know how to I participate in the program? Thanks! :)

szewan62 said...

hi!

This program is open to all youth in Malaysia ho are attached to an NGO under the Ministry of Youth and Sport. You ill need endorsement from the NGO to be eligible to apply. For more information pls refer to http://www.kbs.gov.my

krystle said...

Oh okay thanks! But is it an anual program? How do i get the endorsement from a NGO? I really am interested, but I tried google-ing about Malaysia Korean exchange prorams and I even tried email-ing the Korean embassy, but still no luck. I hope you can tell me more. Sorry for bothering. Thanks!

szewan62 said...

hi. yes it is an annual program. However this program is not carried out by the embassy. It is btw the Msia youth n sport ministry and the korean gender equality and youth ministry. So you need to be selected by our ministry to join this program. And to even be call for the selection camp, you need to be nominated by an NGO under the ministry. In short, you must have an NGO which is willing to nominate you to even to join the program.

George Tan said...

May I know which NGO did you use for the application? I plan to apply this year. May you provide more insight about the application process? Thanks!

szewan62 said...

Guess this piece of info is at no help. I was nominated by the Girl Guides Association.

I have friends from GBBM, YMM. You can try under Scout or PBSM but hey are rare in this prog

Anonymous said...

how bout the expenses?..u pay by urself o u got scholarship?