Saturday, July 31, 2010

4th July 2010: A day at the Korean "Land of Festival for 365 days"

This was the most exciting day in Korea...so much in a day!
We have a free and easy morning in Seoul. Adventurous Sze Wan would not waste any time abroad lingering in the hotel room. :D So early morning I dated the 2 other Lims to join me to visit the Gyeongbokgung Palace. However both the Lims just didn't have the fate to witness the palace greatly blessed by heaven.

The front desk personnel was very helpful. He gave me a map and lead me to the palace on public transport. I traveled on subway line 5 from Yeouinaru to Gwanghwamun. It took me close to an hour to get to the palace from our hotel, a short walk from hotel to the Yeouinaru passing the Yeouido Park and the LG twin towers, the subway ride and another short walk along Gwanghwamun Square.

I arrived at the palace minutes before 10am. Got my ticket and digital guide both at close to RM10 each. Reasonable charges...but too bad that my digital guide didn't work out at first, wasted much of my time. I have less than 45 minutes to spend in the palace but I enjoyed my visit. The architecture was impressive. Really a lot of restoration effort placed in maintaining the 6 centuries old palace. I could not find appropriate words to describe the palace but I would name this palace as a must visit place in South Korea.
I rushed back to Lexington after the short visit...took a little break at the Haechi Madang. 'Haechi' is the mascot of Seoul. It guards Seoul citizens by bringing justice, safety and fortune to the people. So before leaving the exhibition, I got myself a Haechi shaped bookmark. May it keep me safe and well at all time.

I got back to hotel minutes after 12. Relieved to discover that I wasn't the last but on the other hand, I felt bad for branding Malaysia wrongly. After awhile we departed to Yongin for one of the Asia most exciting theme park. We experienced a little havoc during lunch distribution. Thank god that they have a little to spare and managed to pull it even.

We arrived at the Everland Resort Home Bridge Cabin Hostel a little bit ahead of schedule. So I got some time to refresh and for our contingent meeting. Oh not to forget to mention, I got a room to myself again :D.

By 3.30pm, we were all in the hall for mini camp. This was the first official meet up with the Mexican and Alzerbaijian delegates. We were suppose to present our country here but as usual, our presentation was ok after a last minute spice up suggested by me. Initially, we were to have our NL to give a short lecture on general and geographical facts about our country and I translate it, we added a simple 'Rasa Sayang' song into the presentation.

After the Three-party Mini Camp I, we were divided into 3 small groups as usual and with the guide of So Young and Gisu, we ventured in the Everland. This was surely one of the most exciting theme park that I have been to. I really scared everyone off. The 1st ride that we were on was the T-express. It is the world steepest wooden roller coaster...hooray!
The park was so huge. We, the adventerous few with the company of Inae and Jisu. Our day in Everland was filled with thrilled and adventurous ride, Double Rock Spin, Rolling X-Train, Hurricane, Amazon Express, Mystery Mansion and Rotating House...hooray! We stopped for dinner at the Holland Village. I loved the Kimchi Fried Rice with Pork Chop. As usual the appetizers were provided free, but I wished to highlight their marinated turnip...a little sweet and sour dish and very crunchy.

Besides those adventurous rides, we manage to catch the Moonlight Parade. The nicely decorated and brightly lid flower cars and mascot together with the cheering background song, it was like I am back to my childhood. The most impressive performance in Everland was the Dream of Laciun light, water and fire performance. The scale of the performance was huge but everything was so detailed and precise. The sound effect was good even in an open space. We love Everland and were so reluctant to leave the park for the Three-party Mini Camp II.

Anyway it was a great time at the Mini Camp. For at least we have more opportunity to mingle with the Mexican and Azerbaijan. I guessed it would be a cooler party if we could get some drinks there. The party ended at 11pm...a little too early for us. The night was still young for the 3 LIMs. Initially we intended to join Jungeun for a couple of drinks but we ended up having pillow talk with Souk Hung. So much that we could talk about...so much has been shared...the talk continued till wee hours.

Another extreme and fantastic day in Korea. Glad to have met so many superb Koreans!

For more photos,please refer to FB album

No comments: