Wednesday, May 6, 2009

25th April - Vasakhi Fest Open House

Simply goggle 'Vasakhi Open House Penang' gave links as old as from year 2003. It has been organized in Penang for many years but this was my first experience. Never really have a Sikh friend...lots of Indians classmates but never a Sikh. So forgive me for my shallowness of the Sikh culture and tradition. Thanks to the newsletter from the visitpenang.gov.my, I was aware of this event!

25th April was really a busy day for me. Got an invi to my friend's house warming tonight early this morning. Didn't prepare any gift, so I decided to bake them a simple yet yummy butter cake...sadly with some technical problem...my mum helped to preheat the oven and send my cake into the oven at the wrong temperature. A much longer baking time caused my cake to settle...so it turned out to be less fluffy and more greasy. :-(

Drove over to Penang and waited for my sis in our Jelutong house...facebooking while waiting...it was ages long...from level 0 in Pet Society all the way to level 7 and Restaurant City from level 0 to level 4...I was rotting there!
my Pibit...

Finally my sis was back from HPP at 6pm...

Finding a car park in Penang was so difficult especially during festive time. I made few rounds around Esplanade and finally found a lot which put my driving skill to test.
Sikh Naujawan Sabha, Pertubuhan Belia Sikh P.Pinang...the organizer of Vasakhi Open House 2009

It was very happening when we arrived at the Vasakhi Open House in the Fort Cornwallis. Hundreds of guest from near and far gathered here to celebrate the Vasakhi Fest...feasting the Punjabi food, enjoying the cultural perfomances, visiting the exhibition booths and having a hand on cappati making.
the long Q for food
serving vegetarian Punjab meal...loves the chickpea...dahi great to neutralize the spices

We queued for our food, then seated on the floor enjoying the cultural performances. The perfomances presented that night includes traditional Punjab dance by 3 young men in their colourful Bhangra costume, Punjab (or Indian...can't tell the diff) dance by an inspiring young girl, chinese song with fans dance, a Jawa song delivered by a young Chinese man and etc...
the traditional dance
modern dance with Punjab dancing element...shake it shake it!
another dance by young girls and ladies...can really shake :D
traditional Punjab dance...all in colourful Bhangra costume and Turban

After watching few performances, we headed to the 2 sides of the stage...to visit the booth. They have exhibited dolls in their traditional costume, traditional musical instruments, history of Sikh community in Msia and capatti making...very interesting exhibition...reminds me of my exploration in India...I must put my capatti and paratha making skill to test...any white mouse for this?
the Sikh dressed dolls
this gentleman in his ghee and wheat flour capatti making
music corner...

Finally before we left, my sis and I got a henna painting each on our hand...mine was a large flower motives.
artist of the day..my henna lasted for a week
my sis got small flower motives painted

We left early as I have another round at my friend's house warming...delivered my cake...my friends love it though with the little defect... :-)

*photos were taken using my old lumix FX3...not powerful enough for motion shooting especially in the dark... :-( must book my bro's G10

No comments: