Wednesday, May 20, 2009

An Eat Out Week..Fattening

This was my first whole eat out week since I was back in Penang.

Monday, I was in Hongkie Kopitiam and Old Town Cafe with my GG gals...

Tuesday, I went out for lunch with PD, SL and MY at Bukit Jambul flat pan mee stall...cheap and satisfying compared to our money sucking cafe.

Wednesday, out for lunch with VTSM gals. I ate a Kimchi ramen at 长春馆, Chou Shun Kan.

Thursday, went out with PD and SL again. We were all bored of the food served in cafe. So we thought of driving down to town for a little get away in the mid of the day. So we visited the Salsa Restaurant next to Continental Hotel at the junction of Upper Penang Road and Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah...conducive environment...each table comes with a small push buttons device, you can easily call for bill or waiter...thumbs up!
D entrance to Salsa Restaurant
nice interior...
ding-dong...waiter will leave you for some private time...you can page them if you need any assistance

We ordered 3 sets lunch. Each set lunch came with 1 main course, 1 soup with bread or 1 salad, 1 drink and 1 serving of desserts...and it was only RM13.50++ each.
planning another trip there for the double jumbo chicken sausage

For appetizer, we all have pumpkin soup served with butter and bun. I love the pumpkin soup. It wasn't too sweet and less thick with less flour and with mild butter aroma.
yummy pumpkin soup

Didn't feel like eating meat today. So for my main course, I have vegetarian fettuccine. The fettuccine was served in a very big portion. Fettucini was cooked till just nice and sir fried with lots of vegetable in tomato sauce. This was surely good enough for a vegetarian dish.
my vegetarian fettuccine

PD has a grilled chicken breast while SL has a seafood spaghetti. The chicken breast meat was tender and juicy. It was good for PD's liking. Seafood spaghetti with very generous serving portion...lots of seafood :D
grilled chicken breast and seafood pasta...all very big portion

For dessert, we got a tapas...or rather 3 mini desserts. They came in a nice rectangular serving plate with 3 different section. There's a scope of smooth vanilla ice cream, a moistless cheese cake and few cuts of fruits which were not fresh.

Overall the food was good...great main course and appetizer. Sadly the desserts were below average. Anyway what can one complain considering the service and the portion of the food with the price.

Friday, we have our Q1 team building buffet lunch at G-Cafe, G-Hotel. There were 32 of us. There wasn't many customers there. We have got almost the whole restaurant to us.

The interior and exterior of the cafe was nice and calming...no crowd...VTSMers ruled!
VTSM gals... :D
simple and nice cutlery

The food presentation...good...big portion and with many decorations items in between. However the food wasn't warm enough. I wasn't sure if it was due to the chilling air conditioner in the restaurant or the malfunction food heater.
clean and nice food presentation

The food... :-( ...rather disappointing. I started my course with salads. The cold tossed jellyfish was awful...extremely salty. It was believe eating jellyfish can help to lower ones blood pressure but hell no for this case. The chicken salad was good. Other salads were so so.
my salad...jelly fish yucks!

Then I continued on with soup. There were 2 soups choices available. Asparagus cream soup and chicken & herb clear soup. I chose the cream soup...and there, another disappointment! Too much butter in the soup. The aroma of butter covered the other ingredient...not even any hint of asparagus besides the few words on the label... :S ...oh I got another small bun and unsalted butter to go with it and needless to say I could not finished them since the soup already failed.
buttered soup!

Finally into the main dishes. My colleague started of on main courses before me and nothing seem remarkably good according to them. However I proceed to get a little of each...a little of each :
vegetable lasagna(over baked cheese topping...making it hard and difficult to serve and eat) seafood pasta (pasta too soggy)mussel northern curry (overcooked mussel...taste so so...no longer has the mussel sweetness), fried prawn with chili sauce (frozen prawn :S ... taste ok), prawn curry (same as the previous prawn dish...frozen prawn but tasted worse) beef stew (extremely hard)stew mushroom@roaster garlic with kailan sauce (i wonder if the got the name right..turn out to be like a soup) battered fish (my col first suggest that it was chicken...haha)chicken kapitan (best of all....but still too creamy and not spicy enough...guess to cater to foreign guess)

Moving on....proceeded with dessert...best were the mango pudding and apple crumble pie. Averagely, desserts served were too sweet...cakes were way below my expectation...however the presentation was good!
my dessert...too sweet...coffee needed to go with them
nice food presentation...especially desserts...all so tempting but not all taste good
the desserts corner
ice-cream & ice kacang corner...didn't try them as I was very full...too much of sweet desserts

Saturday...drove about 50km south to Serdang Kedah. I was on a food trip to Serdang with my fellow CCCers. We were there to feast the famous fried porridge...yes...you were right, we were there for fried porridge, 炒粥 at the Fong Ting Siew Restaurant...
CCCers and Motorolians...missing in photo is Hooi Fang...thanks her for the meal!
the signature dish...炒粥

The fried porridge was good...rich and thick with generous prawns, dried prawns and dried oyster. I love the tomyam (strong lemon grass aroma...hot, spicy and sweet!), stew pork (yummy with yam...love the cinnamon spice aroma) and 3 flavoured fish (fish deep fried till golden brown and crunchy, served with mango kerabu, cili padi and sweet sauce) too.
3 flavoured fish
spicy tomyam
must eat a little meat and a little yam in every bite

Sunday, I thought my stomach would get a rest but no. My sister wanted to dine out. Since she was always busy at most weekdays and didn't to get proper food, so I decided to go ahead to eat out with her. We went to the Mummy Wang at Lebuh Carnavon. Appreciation set in for RM8.90...one main dish (rice or noodle), 1 jelly dessert, 1 drink, free flow of soup (available on weekdays only) and their special introductory side dish, a golden ball, 金球. The 金球 was crispy noodle like made into a round ball and sprinkled with their plum and chilli powder. Taste a little like my childhood snack, Mimi but much crunchy and sweet. Overall the food was ok there.

So this was how I fed myself over a week. And due to all these consumptions, I have to have longer workout sessions in the gym...anyway I have set very good record...5.85km within 40mins jog and 5 mins walk. :P

1 comment:

Cindy said...

wow!!!!! nice leh!!! yummy yummy~ esp the salsa.... so cheap!!!!!! now oni i wonder, pg food very very cheap!!!