Tuesday, May 12, 2009

26th April - Sony Warehouse Sale & Penang Street Market

Woke up early today despite sleeping late yesterday or rather today technically. Has got to beat others to get to the Sony Warehouse Sale. My sis and I arrived at Han Jiang school at close to 10am. Waited patiently in my car while having bites of my Sausage McMuffin...
We entered the crowded hall at about 10.05am. It was already very crowded and many items on display has been labeled sold out even before we learn the specs...scary! Buying power was still so high despite the economic turbulence.

Finally I ended up empty handed as I was not sure of what exactly I was looking for or how much I was willing to pay for the outdated new gadgets...

DSLR?...price is lower than the market but still very expensive, not willing to fork out over 1.5k for camera...
HandyCam?...not really into video, so no...
CyberShot?...there were already Canon G10, Panasonic Lumix FX7 and Sony CyberShot DSC-W100 at home...don't even need to pay a single cent to use them
Other gadgets...either I was not fancy of them or they were far from my affordability :-(

So we left after a round in the hall.

Next we went to the Lorong Kulit. I have been there once when I was very young but have heard a lot about it recently from my uncle. He claimed that there were lots of stalls selling old coins. So I wanted to try my luck to dig some treasures here.

However we were a little disappointed to learn about the money sucking sellers there...a commemorative coins of RM1 would cost me RM12...darn...it would cost me not more than RM10 on ebay and lelong...if I am lucky enough I could easily get a deal under RM5...but this was still a good trip to look around...lots of things sold here were really unexpected...eye opening!
not sure if this uncle is trying to sell these old torn shoes...anyway he was dozing off at most of the time.
wondering who would buy these pipe...
lelong! lelong! ...u can get all sorts of things here...more than u could imagine...old steering wheel, kerosene lamp and etc

Then we drove to the Upper Penang Road to catch the monthly Penang Street Market. My first time in the market...many masterpieces of local artistes were exhibited and on sale here...there were also live performances by local musicians...a recommended spot for cultural lovers and foreign tourists....and remember to check out the stall which sells painting made of beans and nuts...very impressive!
this is one of the stall put up by a community service home...can help others when u buy and sell...good deed!
egg basket and necklaces...all made in Penang...all are unique master pieces of the artist.
a great place for young and old...

Finally we ended our trip with Teow Chew Cendol, asam laksa and char kuey teow at Penang Road....yummy!
my yummy Cendol!

Then in the evening, my sis and I went shopping at Queen's Bay Mall...bought 2 pairs of shoes at Vincci...hooray...long time no new shoes ready...satisfy my crave for coffee at my favourite hangout place, the Coffee Bean :D

Have dinner at Canton-i. Rather disappointing with their signature dish, wanton noodle...it tasted better in Hong Kong...more pork and less crunchy prawns filling here. For dessert, I ordered my favourite dessert when I was in Hong Kong, a dessert that had almost caused me to miss my flight...the Mango Pomelo dessert or 楊枝甘露 by 許流山...However I was dissapointed with what Canton-i could provide. The pomelo was bitter and 楊枝甘露 which came without mango sorbet/ice-cream and without mango pudding..merely mango puree plus bitter pomelo. Overall experience in Canton-i was nothing close to Hong Kong...unlike claimed by many others.
wanton noodle soup...tasted not as good as it looked...noodle was fine enough, soup was clear and sweet enough but the essence of this, the wanton was so so.
canton-i version of 楊枝甘露...NO GOOD!
my blooming tea

So this was just another great Sunday of mine in Penang...I love Penang!

*sorry...this post took me ages to complete.

No comments: