Sunday, August 22, 2010

8th July 2010: We could be better

This was one of the worse day I had in Korea. Firstly, my attire wasn't that appropriate for formal calls. It could be better if we were given the program earlier so I could plan my luggage. Secondly was the silent rooms during official meets in which I was stuck right at the middle and being the attention of both parties. Thirdly, being an interpretor wasn't such an easy job. I would said I did a great job but it was just not enough to please some people.

Our program today started with courtesy call to the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. We arrived early at the ministry building and have some time to stroll around but I just wasn't in mood despite the beautiful Cheonggyecheon Stream right in front. Anyway the time was just too short for any enjoyment.
In the ministry office, we were led into the conference room and greeted by the Korean officers, led by Mr Jeon, Director - General for Youth Policy. The meeting officially began with welcoming speech by Mr Jeon. Then it was the speech by our NL in our national language and direct Korean translation by Bryanna. Thank god for our brilliant cooperation, the translation went well and without the awkward and puzzle stares over NL's pantun. I couldn't recall the complete pantun but it began with "Ayam siam .....". I dropped the words from the pantun but still able to deliver his message well :D
After the speech, it was policy and update on youth development in Korea by Mr Jeon. It was very impressive to see how much effort the policy maker team put together for the benefit of its people. Then it was the most embarrassing question and answer session ever. Some less brilliant guys tossed me a paper filled with a lot of less brilliant questions and commanding me to ask them due to his incompetence to speak in English. I refused and did translation for him instead. So at least I was the one who actually ask those less brilliant questions.

After the meeting we headed straight to welcoming luncheon hosted by the ministry. It was a Korean traditional course. One dish after another...there were so many dishes. However being the translator, I could not get to indulge the meal. I could only swallow quickly, clearing my throat to translate for NL and Mr Jeon. One of the most remarkable statement mentioned was "Anak adalah kurniaan dan takdir Allah. Kita hanya perlu berusaha".

Mr Jeon shared a lot on history of Korea. Being translator was good at time. Just an advice for all national leaders to be, please read up about our national history before heading out. Translators or interpretors should equip yourselves too, just in case your bosses have not done their homework. Thanks to all my pass history teachers or else we would embarrass ourselves!

Later in the afternoon, we attended a courtesy call to the Embassy of Malaysia in Seoul. We were greeted by our ambassador and officers. We had a speech by our NL and ambassador both in Malay. So this translator got a breakaway for a moment :D After all the official stuff, we were served with tea. They got us yummy mee goreng and some kuih. Those were good but to be honest, I didn't really missed those as much as compared to the others. I could survive months without Malaysian food, just like when I was in India with those roti all the time.
The last official program of the day was the visit to the Seoul Youth Media Center. I was really very exhausted by then but have no choice to hang on, to listen to every word by our kind presenter and make lines of notes in preparation to fill the Q&Q slot. So I asked my questions and did another round of translation of the less brilliant questions. Anyway the visit to the center was interesting with the photographing session and news broadcasting.
Next was the shopping time at Namdaemun Market, one of the many traditional market in Seoul. It was a quick 40 minutes shopping spree there. I only manage to get 5 pairs of chopstick sets and scouted around for the best souvenir price. I got to do it quick purchases on the next visit :D

After the quick shopping, we went back to Lexington Hotel for a quick refresh then it was dinner at VIP restaurant next door hosted by Mr Yu, Ms Park and Mr Park. We enjoyed the delicacies of the buffet and another chat session with our great host.

In the evening, we got together with Song for drinks. She introduced us to Shoju, local berry wine and local beer. We diluted the Shoju with orange juice and yogurt drink. It was such a great combinations. With the drinks on hand, we talked for hours until wee hours again. Thanks Song!


For more photos,please refer to FB album

No comments: