Saturday, July 18, 2009

Weekend getaway from Penang...in KL and Malacca

On my 3584, I speed down to KL on Friday evening with my parents. We departed from home at 6.45pm and arrived in KL at 10.15pm...3 and a half hour...that was a pretty fast journey :D

Arriving at KL, my first stop was at Serdang Raya, Yoke Heng Restaurant for the yummy claypot lou shu fan and pork ribs. This was on of the many eating places I missed of in Klang valley. Why can't they have their branches in Penang? :-(

Yoke Heng...famous for it's claypot lou shu fun

our claypot lou shu fun...order 2 person share...it is enought for 3

their famous pork rib...with marmite sauce

I started my Saturday with breakfast in the renowned Woo Pin Fish Head Noodle, 湖滨鱼头米粉 at Taman Danau Desa. It was located within the Ho-A-One Seafood Steamboat Restaurant. This was another place which worth driving long for. It took me about 15 minutes drive from Cheras but with a toll at Conought...If not the paying expressway, it will take me an hour on MRR2 then into the KL Seremban highway.

Ho A One Steamboat house the Woo Pin Fish Head Noodle in the morning

After dropping my aunt and cousin at home, we sped off to Malacca. It was a smooth journey down. It took me about an hour and a half to Ayer Keroh toll...followed by another few minutes drive to my brother's place situated at the back of MMU.

Then we headed to Taman Desa Duyong for the Sakura House. It was a terrace house converted cafe...very homey feel. As it was a home cooked Japanese meal, you could not expect too much...rich in choices but tasted so so. However this may be a value for money option.Next stop, we was at the Dataran Pahlawan...went round and round in search of parking lot...I hate this place for we always could not get a proper place to park or ended with a fine note by MBMB...damn MBMB!
Sakura House...1 simple bento only cost
The presentation was good but personally I didn't really like nor dislike the food...just not a recommended place to dine in if you are Japanese food fans
mum's Unagi Bento

We was in Dataran Pahlawan for a mid day food hunt mid stop...our stomachs needed some time to process all our intakes. So we went for Transformer...yeah finally I got to watch it...and it was a great choice for family time...but !@#$^ to the guy sitting next to me. He has been coughing throughout the 2nd half of the movie...causing me having to use my Dettol sanitizer all time...every time he cough, I would have to apply once...Didn't he know what hygiene means now especially with the H1N1 outbreak?

Not to be missed...we had a tea break before the show...though I was full, I could not resist my long crave for drink...my favourite Chocolate milk shake at Wong Kok Restaurant. The thick chocolate milk shake topped with chocolate ice cream was just irresistable.

After the movie we drove for half hour to Umbai for ikan bakar. We ordered a ikan pari bakar cili, butter prawns and squids platter. The main dish, ikan bakar was rather dissapointing...the chili was way too strong and covered the frest taste of the fish. The butter prawns and squid platter were delicious. Not to forget, the otak-otak was good as well. Normally people love to have these dishes with Nasi Lemak but not for me as I was sparing my stomach for next round.

Then, we headed back to town. We went to my favourite cafe in Malacca, the Nadeje Patisserie...We ordered an original mille crepe, strawberry mille crepe, tiramisu mille crepe and a cheese cake. I loved the original mille crepe most. It was best to go with black long coffee....dark and sugarless.


On Sunday morning, we went to the Museum Cafe(Jonker Dessert 88) for the world best cendol...this was always my choice of cendol...better than our Penang Teo Chew Cendol. Cendol. Besides cendol, the Baba Laksa was also my favourite. Unique in it's own way...unlike our Penang laksa nor our Penang curry mee.
After the heavy santan meal, we walked down the street in search for our gifts...the pineapple tarts. As we walked along the road, we found a busy stall selling traditional Nyonya kuih...We got a whole big bag of 'Ang Ku Kueh', Pulut Tai Tai, kuih bingkai and ondeh-ondeh....yummy! These were made fresh in the morning.

We then continued our tour with biscuit feasting at my frequent visit stall...I didn't the name but I just knew my way there. Their tarts never failed me. So we bought a box of pineapple tarts and a box of lotus paste cookies. Mum also got hold of 4 packs of mee sua.

As we were very full but has nothing much to do while waiting for stomach to give a little space, we headed to the Coffee at Cathedale Coffee Art

Next was another biscuit feasting time at Yong Sheng...I always love to shop here. 1.The biscuit taste good, 2. Affordable price as a gift, 3. Good service (the sales person kept offering ;D but my stomach was just too full :S and they deliver it right to your car), 4. We are already their VIP customer (get 15% discount).

I really have given up but as my parents were not very frequent visitor in Malacca, they wished to give Nyonya cuisine a try. So we headed to the Ole Sayang. Ordered a asam fish, ayam poh teng, sambal udang and sambal kangkung. My mum initially said she didn't want to eat rice, just a few bites of those dishes would do, ended up having need of additional plate of rice while for me, I got 2 spoon of rice...need the rice as the flavours were too strong to be taken like that. Anyway it was a great meal for everyone.

Finally we left Malacca at 4.20pm after stuffing my stomach meals after meal in shortly one and a half day. We reached Penang at 10.10pm...so it was a 5 hours and 50 minutes inclusive of a stop at the Seremban Siew Pau Empayar and few other intervals.

I enjoyed traveling with my parents...they were food enthusiacs like me :D

Photos here are from my old collections and from the internet...didn't have my camera with me.

2 comments:

JS said...

Hi Sze Wan,

Just surf on to your blog. I was wondering how was it possible that you could speed down from Penang to KL in 3.5hrs? I'm planning a trip to go from KL up penang and I'm hesitating whether or not to drive up....

szewan62 said...

JS,

the quoted 3.5 hours is from Juru on the mainland to Jalan Duta. The distance is less than 350km. So constant speed of 110km/h is possible.

if it is me, I will surely choose to drive since public transport in Penang is not that convenient and not accessible. Unless you have transport in Penang, otherwise driving will be a better option.