Saturday, April 26, 2008

Vietnam Day V - Shopping Maniac

Last day in HCM, Vietnam...It has been a pretty relaxing day with much shopping work on the agenda.

Our day begun with Phon at the famous Phon 2000. This was a popular restaurant among tourists. However the phon was not as good as compared to the one I had on the previous night in Lac Thien. I wasn't saying that they are not delicious but they were rather plain...much like the Hor Fun Soup in Malaysia. But their red bean punch was superb...I loved it!
Phon 2000

wah...the red bean punch

Then we went to the Cholon, the local Chinatown. First we visited the Chua Ba or the Thien Hau Pagoda in District 5. As it was the 王母娘娘 or the Goddess Empress's birthday, many locals came to pay offerings. Both the exterior and interior were impressive. Most of arches and beams in the temple were made from wood and the joints were boltless and nutless. The practices here were very much similar to in Malaysia, just that most of the temples we have in Malaysia were remodeled and rebuilt using those cold marble and concrete.

this is what we meant by traditional

with Pui Ee...at the entrance to the temple

Next we walked to the Tam Son Hai Quan Pagoda on the opposite road. Seen the 打小人 a lot on the Hong Kong drama but never in my real life. Here I witness this practice. The 神婆(sorry don't know how to explain here) grumbled a lot of prayers as well as curses. Hitting hard on those who did wrong to the so called clients...but anyway it was really interesting to see this practice though personally I do not believe in it. Oh yes...here they have a lot of goddess which was unknown to me or some characters which I have heard of in Chinese history but has never been worship before.

looks ordinary from the outside but inside...lots to discover

Then we moved on to the Nghia An Hoi Quan Pagoda. Also another first time in my life...I did 求签 here...and I got 中吉...which was considered as good...so hope that everything would go smoothly. The architecture was impressive too.

look at the architecture...it was based on old chinese way...different layers or parts for different purpose with opening in the middle
astonishing interior...

Though this nation do not promote themselves as a multi-race country but they indeed has this unique culture. Few doors away, was the Cholon Mosque. Of course it was nothing comparable to those we have in Malaysia...but it was remarkable in this context was because they were able to be live harmonically unlike in Malaysia. Mosques and temples location were crucial. I could still recall what happened in Penang when a Mosque has an Indian Temple as a neighbor.

much influence from the local, Hinduism and Buddhism...different from the modern mosque...similar with those old mosque in Malacca and Penang

Finally, it was our favorite time...shopping! First we went to the Andong Market. It was more like a wholesale fashion market and with a little of everything on the basement. I managed to buy many souvenirs here...yeah...those magnets and photo album.

look...this was taken in the Andong Market on the fashion compartment...the size of the stall was small...so most of the time, the shop keeper has to do their business on the hallway
food stall on the basement

Followed by another shopping trip in Ben Thanh Market...more souvenir with great bargain.

Finally lunch...our lunch in Lotteria Fast Food restaurant was marvelous. I loved those burgers...but the price was almost the same as in Malaysia.

this was Ee Pheng's...I was way to hungry to take any shot of it...haha...

Then another coffee in the Barista...and the theater environment was super for us to relax.

Finally flew off from the airport at about 7.30pm. Again, I have to recognize the Vietnamese attitude...always very nice...and 1st class treatment even you are flying with AirAsia...oh yes some shots with locals in their traditional costume...graceful wasn't they?
international airport with 1st class hospitality

graceful traditional dress

As a whole I love my trip to Vietnam. Thanks to Ee Pheng, Tzy Chin and Pui Ee for the great company and of course for their trust in me being the blind guide there...well I hope that I have proven myself well.

my trophies here...I would have to show off here...haha...guess what are they?
yes...another great photo album...another one from abroad

and this is a coffee maker...simple to use and environment friendly...haha...no need electricity to steam

1 comment:

kablooi said...

hey amoi, can send me your itinerary in word doc ah?