Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kinabalu Day 2 - Heavenly Mesilau Trail

My day today started early. We woke up as early as 4am. We had our breakfast while listening to a briefing by Madam Wong when she broke the news that she would not be able to join us uphill as she was not feeling well. We departed to the Kampung Mesilau where the Mesilau trail begins.



We arrived at the Mesilau Gate at about 6.45am after a bumpy ride uphill. Haha…we got a shock here. It was freezing cold. All of us were in shorts and t-shirts. We quickly putted on more. I wore an additional long-sleeves T while most of my friends wore inches thick of winter clothings.

We started our hike at 7.20am after registration without our guides as there were some misunderstandings between our guides with Mdm Wong. We walked and walked when we finally reached the 0.5km. Our guides, Azur and Min caught up with us at about 0.8km. On our journey towards KM 1, we stopped by to enjoy the great scenery where we were introduced to the peak that mimic a lady carrying a baby.



First we arrived at Pondok Bambu and then Pondo Nepenthes. On the way to the Pondok Chempaka, we came across 2 waterfalls. We also came across a place where Nepenthes grow at wild and as large as a mug. There were many of them on one tree. However there was no bad scent from them.



The route to the summit after the Pondok Chempaka was way worse and thougher that before. We went up and down the hill just like being briefed on. From Pondok Chempaka we moved on to the Pondok Lompoyou and Pondok Tikalod. The view at Pondok Tikalod and at KM 5.5 were very beautiful.



Felt like I was in heaven, with the bonsai like trees and the misty background.
We arrived at the junction connecting Mesilau trail and Timpohon Trail at about 2pm. By then, my legs were really hurted. I got blister on both my legs. The Kampung Adidas shoes were too large, causing my feet to be rubbed towards the shoes. So we stopped at the junction to put on plasters. I was really exhausted so we stopped a little longer here.

The route to Laban Rata from the junction got tougher from here. It was muddy and slippery. The steps were really steep. I walked up together with Tzy Chin. Though the distance from the junction to the 1st hut was only about 1km long, it took us close to 1 and half hours.
We arrived at Pondok Villosa at about 3.30pm while pondok Paka at about 4.10pm. Then we proceed on steep rocky mountain way. There were parts where there were no staircase steps. After a long while, we arrived at Waras Hut, the 1st accommodation site. We were so excited and moved faster towards our destination site, Laban Ratahouse. It was within our sight from Waras Hut.

Finally we arrived at Laban Ratahouse at 5.20pm. It took us about 10 hours for this 8km long route. The temperature outside was about 10℃. There we had our 1st proper meal of the day. The food was expensive but it was worth looking at how they were transported uphill. After meal, I went out to the balcony to see sunset before heading up to my accommodation of tonight, Gunting Lagadan Hut.

At Gunting Lagadan Hut, I took an extremely freezing cold shower. The hot shower was not working, leaving me with no other choice else than the icy water. I thought the temperature of the water then must be close to 3 to 4 ℃. My fingers were numbed. After shower and packing my bags, we went to bed. It was about 7.30pm then. However I could not dozed off until close to 11pm.

It was a really tiring day. It was physically challenging. Hope that tomorrow will be better! I am looking forward to the hike to the summit.

No comments: