Friday, September 28, 2007

Hunger for more

After my last post on 30 hour Famine, many of my friends were very curious on what we have done in that 30 hours.

So this will be a more detailed write up on it.

It started on 12 noon on 15th Sept and ended at 6pm on 16th Sept. As my last meal before the fast was at 10 am...So I have fasted for 32 hours in a whole.

During these long winding hours, there were not much that could be done. There were some famine games, sharing talk by Dr Wong Chow, Movie Time, Ai Xing Concert and of course many leisure time till I din't knew what to do besides sitting down at one corner and talked. As there were approximately 5500 faminer, the whole stadium was very crowded and noisy. Those school students seemed to be more excited for escaping home rather than feeling hungry like us.

To our surprise, the Ai Xing Concert on the 1st night was really a blast. There were many celebrities. Fish Leong, Nicholas Teo and Daniel Lee have managed to win the crowd. We could not believe that the crowd there have already fasted for 8 hours and still were very energetic and able to shout and call out their idols name.

By 9pm, I have a very bad stomach reflux. It was due to the stomach gastric asid. I started to burp. It was really bad for me as I used to have gastric pain. But anyway I hanged on to it. Only drink a lot a lot of water hopping that it would go off.

The concert ended at 10.40pm. I was pretty tired by then but I went for the screening of Turtles Can Fly as my sis wished to watch. The movie was set at the war zone of Iraq. It showed how the children there suffered and how they survived earning food from the mine land. It was really sad to see that and it was a very good movie but I dozed of for a few moment. My body could not take it any more. I was really very tired.



The movie ended at 12.30 midnight. We left the movie room and headed back to the arena, our sleeping zone. We laid our sleeping bags on the floor. I was really tired and my head was spinning off but those children seemed to be extra energetic. They could still go for the stargazing. For those who know me well, will surely realized that I am one who is very concious about personal hygiene. Normally or even in a camp, I could not sleep until I got my shower, but here I was too tired even to think about that. Not allowed to take shower was not a problem for me then. My hands and legs were very cold...signed of lacked of food...

Finally I fall asleep at about 1am. Even then I was awaken from time to time by other energetic campers. Everytime some one walked pass me, I would be awake. And finally I woke up at 5am. It was too early for any activity other than sitting up quietly.

We had a religious talk in the morning followed by a sharing session by Dr Wong Chow and a famine game. At 10am, I got another reflux. My stomach was alarming me on time to eat. Yet I got only water to spare.

By noon, we have another great performance by the beneficiary of the World Vision Fund. I could not recall which 2 NGO were them but they really proved themselves good up on the stage. I sincerely thank them for having the courage and for being so optimistic.

At about 2pm, I got the 3rd reflux. I felt bad...really bad. My hands and legs were cold and numbed. I have the crave for food. My team mates and I were talking about food....what we wished to have on my next meal.

Thank god for we have finally ended our 30 hour famine. It was really tough. It has made me realized how lucky I am. Really hope everyone reading this post would felt the same and start to practise moderately. Do not waste any food and appreciate what you have now!...The small little piece of banana cake and soy milk are great enough for me after these 30 hours. I believe the children out there felt the same as well. So let us play a role in making this world a better place for every each of us.

Thank you World Vision for such a miracle mission and all 30 hour famine campers and not to forget all my supportive teammates! Bravo!


No comments: