Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kinabalu Day 3 - Conquered the Kinabalu peak, Low's Peak

5th Sept. 07, we woke up at 1am. After a hot cereal drink, we prepared ourselves for thr climb to the summit.



Azur and Min arrived at close to 2pm. We had a photography session and a short briefing.

At 2.30am sharp, we started to move out from Gunting Lagadan Hut towards the summit. I thought the temperature was close to 2 to 3 C. Every step I took, it got harder than before. The sky was still dark but we were climbing the 45 flat rocky surface with the help of a rope. We moved diagonally one after another, moving like a crab. The route to the Sayat-Sayat Hut was hard but no harder than the stretch between the junction and the Pondok Villosa. I had a little difficulty breathing. My steps got smaller and smaller and deeper breath.

Finally we reached the Sayat-Sayat Hut, the checkpoint to entitle us to the hike completion certificate. We were very upset to learn that Pei Shan could no longer hang on with this hike. She had difficulty breathing ad she felt drowsy.



Sun started to rise when we were still hiking up towards the summit Low's Peak, 4095.2m above sea level. We arrived at the summit at 6.30am. We only managed to see the end of the sunrise. It was really very windy and cold up there. After a few photo shots, we moved back down.




Me on the very top of South East Asia

On our way down, we stopped here and there to take more photos. We saw the Victoria Peak, Alexandra Peak, St. John Peak, South Peak as well as the holy lake.



Back in Sayat-Sayat Hut, I met with Kah Yong and the others...haha....Kah Yong was not feeling well again, a little dizzy and exhausted. SO we stopped a little longer here. I went down in front of the others....I enjoyed hopping and abseiling down.

After packing up, we left Gunting Lagadan Hut and went tot he Laban Rata to meet Min and Azur. We departed from Laban Rata at 10.30am. Down the way we pasted the Waras Hut, Pondok Paka and Pondok Villosa. We met Su San and his friends on our way tot he Layang-Layang Staff Quater. Then we pasted Pondok Mempening.

At about KM2.5, the rain started to down pour. I was walking alone then. The rain got heavier after I pasted the Pondok Lowii. I walked very slowly as I was afraid being alone. If anything were to happen to me, then who will help? So played safe as my legs hurted and my kneecaps were really painful.

Finally few others caught up and we pasted the Pondk Ubah and Pondok Kandis. The last 0.5km seemed to be very short, we moved quickly and reached Pondok Timpohon, the end of our hike at 2.40pm.

Kinabalu hike was really tough but it was not an unachievable. It was physically and mentally challenging. I am proud of all my friends and myself for we were able to overcome all obstacles to conquered the top of South East Asia!!!

Bravo CCCPro's Mt. Kinabalu Expedition Team!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Sze Wan, may i know ur cost of the climb.... i'm planning a climb also. Contact me at henrythung@yahoo.com thx!